Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Blind Spots Update

Earlier I posted 5 films that I was somewhat embarrassed to have never seen and I am happy to report I've since caught up with 2 of them. Federico Fellini's "8 and 1/2" and Fritz Lang's "Metropolis."


God I wish I was this cool


I have very little to say about "8 1/2" other than it was amazing I can't wait to see it again because I think there was so much incredible stuff going on that I didn't absorb a fraction of it. Also I found it very funny so I missed a lot because I was laughing. Especially the character of the mistress and all the scenes where a dozen production people are bombarding our hero with questions about the film they're making (and the launchpad for the spaceship which amused me no end.) I'm glad I finally saw it and can't wait to see it again. I encourage you if you've not seen it to do so.



There is no Metropolis, only Zuul


I had the chance to see the restored edition of "Metropolis" at the Uptown Stage and Screen with live accompaniment by the Alloy Orchestra. I absolutely loved everything about the experience (except for the fact that I couldn't finish my popcorn. I foolishly ordered the large and Stefan refused to have some.) The Alloy Orchestra was outstanding and really brought the movie to life and I was blown away with a lot of the images in the film. I would love to see some more silent films in this kind of a setting. The design of everything in the movie was incredible (and since Brazil is one of my favorite films it was very cool to see something that so clearly was a huge visual influence on Gilliam's film.) The entire second half of the movie was more exciting than any hollywood blockbuster action movie I've seen in a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment